Job Description: Housing Officer
Responsible To: Housing Manager
Short Description: The Rent Officer will proactively support tenants, including those with Mental Health, Learning and Physical Disabilities, to ensure and maintain tenancies in safe and high quality accommodation; by supporting them to adhere to rental and client contribution requirements.
Summary of Benefits: Annual salary up to £25k depending on experience
Company Pension Scheme
Full expensed company mobile phone for business use
Mileage paid for business use
Car business insurance paid
Free car parking
Specific Duties: The Rent Officer will be specifically responsible for:
1. Facilitating the move in, tenure and move out of tenants for company accommodation and to ensure that all financial documentation and actions required for the correct receipt of housing benefit, rental payments and client contribution is completed in accordance with the company’s policies and procedures.
2. Supporting the tenants to complete all necessary tenancy, move in and move out documentation according to company processes either via active support or delegation to the assigned housing officer.
3. Supporting tenants to make any necessary welfare applications including exempt accommodation housing benefit either via active support or delegation to the assigned housing officer.
4. Supporting tenants to ensure that they are compliant with their tenancy agreement including rent, service charges, settlement of any arrears and that they maintain compliance with all aspects of their tenancy agreement and associated rules.
5. Supporting tenants to maximise their independent living including securing voluntary or paid employment or access to training that will have a positive effect on both the tenant and company’s financial goals.
6. Supporting tenants with financial intensive housing management tasks and activities and documenting engagement in accordance with the company policies and procedures.
7. Conducting periodic audits of tenant finances, rental, housing benefit and client contribution compliance and facilitating resolution of non-conformities where required either via active engagement or delegation to the assigned housing officer.
8. Conducting meetings with tenant to discuss financial tenancy related matters such as housing benefit, rental and client contribution compliance
9. Working closely with the legal department to ensure tenant housing benefit, client contribution and other financial intervention that is required results in success for the financial goals of the tenant and organisation.
10. Ensuring that tenants and their accommodation remain in compliance with regulatory and company standards
11. Identifying and facilitating timely remedial actions relating the underpayments of housing benefits and housing benefit debt, non-payment of client contribution and client contribution arrears in accordance with the company’s policies and procedures.
12. Producing and maintaining accurate financial documentation, databases, reports and correspondence to the housing manager, legal department, finance department operations coordinator and senior management in accordance with the times specified by the housing manager.
13. Producing and maintaining accurate financial documentation, databases, reports and letters to the tenant, external organisations and authorities and stakeholders in a timely manner in accordance with the company’s policies and procedures.
14. Working with all necessary parties, external organisations, internal departments and stakeholders to deliver all the responsibilities for this job role and ensure the best chance of success in relation to the company’s financial goals and reconciliation of debt.
In addition to specific responsibilities, the role will also be responsible for ensuring:
* The maintenance of confidentiality of all information unless otherwise permitted by management
* Undergo training and professional development as directed by the company
* Full compliance with company’s vision, values, policies and procedures
* Work in a manner that promotes team work and a collegial environment
* Active and positive promotion of the company’s image and brand
* Other duties that may be assigned by management
The following qualification, skills and experience are required for this role:
* Previous experience in a rental or debt recovery role in a housing association setting
* Level 2 Certificate in CIH Housing Practice (or equivalent)
* Willingness to pursue Level 3 Certificate in Housing Practice (or equivalent)
* Background in social care beneficial
* Working understanding of government and local authority regulations relating to tenancies, housing benefits and housing associations
* Competence in the use of Microsoft Office and Internet applications
* Strong English spoken, listening, writing and communication skills
* Strong administration skills, letter and report writing
* Full driving licence and use of own vehicle
The role will include the management of service user’s residing in properties spanning across Kingston, Reigate and Banstead, Wimbledon, Sutton, Surrey, Merton and this may grow to Richmond and Hounslow. There is also some occasional travel required, with some irregular visits to the Head Office in Slough.
In particular, we are interested in individuals who have a good understanding of housing benefits, exempt accommodation and intensive housing management as well as experience in dealing with tenants who display anti-social behaviour and breaches of tenancy as there are some challenging tenants you will have to manage
Go to job list